Sr. Staff Scientist / Principal Scientist
Nucleic Acid Sequencing and Assay Development
The successful candidate will lead the company’s reagent and assay development efforts focusing on nucleic acid sequencing and applications. He or she will work closely with hardware, software and biochip engineers to build a high-throughput system.
Primary R&D activities and responsibilities include:
- Designs, plans and executes research and development-related experiments/projects utilizing established and innovative procedures, and applying scientific knowledge and accumulated experience to complete projects. Contributes to the definition and timely achievement of overall project goals. Makes recommendations and when appropriate, acts independently to resolve scientific problems encountered during experimental procedures to improve productivity of results. Ensures activities are consistent with project critical path and responds appropriately to changing priorities.
- May manage 1 or more FTEs and ensures that records and documentation of studies are accurate and consistent and include experimental methods, materials and results in notebooks, computers etc. Analyzes data, evaluates results, forms conclusions and implements/documents improvements. Integrates previous and current results to determine next experimental steps and the impact of long-range project goals.
- Will present findings at group or departmental meetings. Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce reports and documents. May assist in preparing summaries, memos, internal reports, presentations, manuscripts, etc.
- Serves as a resource to other departments (e.g., Manufacturing/Operations, Quality, Marketing, Regulatory Affairs, Clinical Studies, and International Technical Services), provides timely response and follow-ups. Participates in the expeditious transfer of products and technologies by providing scientific knowledge and assistance.
- Work involves trouble shooting and resolving problems in creative ways.Takes a new perspective on existing solutions. Explores and implements new concepts and methodologies as required.
- Decisions impact project team(s) and/or broader organization. Inappropriate decisions may have an impact, causing a delay in operations, a financial expense, or customer or user dissatisfactions.
- Other duties may be assigned as project scope and requirements change.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Life Sciences, Biotechnology, or related field.
- 10+ years of experience in the biotechnology industry with a track of successfully launched products.
- A track record of independent scientific productivity, rigor and excellence as evidenced by publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Expert knowledge and hands-on experience with NGS systems, library construction procedures, for whole genome sequencing, target enrichment procedures is required.
- Knowledge of microfluidics and reactions in small volume fluids on a functionalized surface is desirable.
- Demonstrated leadership in experimental design, analysis and applications in molecular biology reagent and assay development projects.
- Proven ability to work across cross-functional teams in a collaborative manner.
- Record of success with effectively handling multiple projects and meeting project timelines, to facilitate working with a multidisciplinary team in a start-up environment with an emphasis on commercial product development.